Several years ago, a former business client of mine had been very frustrated that her online business was not going the way she had wanted. When she sought out my services, she reported that she felt confused as to why her business was not going the way she wanted it to; she had some clients but found that her customers were not consistent in their spending and buying habits. She wanted to gain more revenue and expand her online services.
However, as we assessed her business framework, it became apparent that a big part of the inconsistent results she was finding was due to her lack of self-discipline as a business owner. While she wanted her business to grow, her activities were lacking, meaning that she did not have her own personal “system” in place that would keep her focused and motivated to build her business. See if these “mistakes” you are guilty of and the solutions to get you on the right track:
- No Written Focus – this can be your mission statement or the “why” of your business. While my client had great ideas for her business, she did not have many of them written down. Without a mission focus, you won’t know how or where you want your business to go. You will be aiming but not towards anything specific and it will take you twice as long to grow.
- No Written Plan – without a written plan for your business, you are doomed to fail. The business plan is your road-map that lays out all parts of your business and how you plan to market your services.
- No Systems – everything you do is a system; how you gain leads to how you close the sale to how you develop your programs and services. Knowing the steps you take in each area of your business will save you time and money as you take the same steps with each client. A system also shows your clients that you are customer-service focused and a valid business entity.
- No Personal Discipline – having all of the above is effective for your business but if you don’t take it seriously, you will see slow or poor results and become frustrated and disillusioned. Self-discipline behaviors include: waking at the same time in the morning; having clear daily task lists and staying focused until they are completed; setting financial goals and balancing the books; setting daily, weekly and monthly goals for the number of clients you want/need to contact and your results; not checking emails or iPhone until the most important tasks are done; taking rest breaks to ensure you are refreshed and recharged to do your best work.
- No Commitment – like my client, you might have the best intentions and are taking action but your efforts are rather noncommital. It’s like you are “half-in/half-out”, as some days you are full-on while at others times you feel ambivalent and willing to take the status-quo. Being committed means that you fully believe in what you do and are willing to do what it takes.
Once my client recognized these negatives, she was willing and able to correct and overcome them. We refined a new vision and mission for her business and wrote a simple plan that consisted of clear goals and activities that would help her accomplish them. She recommitted to her business with renewed passion and excitement and mapped out how she was going to spend her days. There was no ambivalence or questioning where her business was going. A year later, she is doing well and her life and business are thriving; she developed the discipline habits that made it happen. You can, too!
Your Weekly Action Plan
Begin this week to assess your commitment and self-discipline for all areas of your life, such as your business, your career, your finances, your eating or exercise habits, and your mindset. See where you can commit to improve and implement at least one positive step. Write those down and focus on them daily. Monitor your progress at the end of each day and reaffirm your commitment.
I hope you have a successful week – If you need help gaining clarity on your business or career goals, or in developing your action plan, why not get some help – stop the struggle and call today to get started. I’d love to help you build the career and business of your dreams!